Vesico Ureteric Reflux
Case No. 12: Vesico Ureteric Reflux
- The pathological return of urine from the bladder into the ureters is called VESICO URETERIC REFLUX( VUR).
- Child presents with repeated episodes of urinary tract infection( UTI). Confirmed by urine routine and urine culture.
- Micturating cystourethrogram (MCUG) is the investigation of choice, where urine is seen going into the ureters. DMSA scan is done to see renal scarring and function.
- Chemoprophylaxis is continued till 5yrs for the reflux to resolve spontaneously.
- If reflux persists beyond 5 years it is treated with Ureteric reimplantation.
- If UTI occurs while on chemoprophylaxis or renal scarring increases, surgical management is indicated irrespective of the age.