Case Series 03: Intussusception
- Bowel within the other bowel, best detected by target or doughnut sign in sonography.
- Can be small bowel in small bowel-> can be treated conservatively.
- Small bowel in large bowel-> requires Hydrostatic Reduction under usg guidance-> best results if performed within 48 hrs.
- If the above fails, surgery (open /laparoscopy) has to be performed.
- Chances of recurrence must be explained to the relatives
Points To Remember
- Very important for the sonologist to comment on the type of intussusception.
- Timely intervention can prevent surgery.