Case No. 15: Tongue Tie
- Inability to protrude tongue out of the mouth.
- Child presents with slurred speech/delayed speech.
- Since the tongue is not freely mobile child also finds it difficult to maintain oral hygiene to clean the food stuck in the mouth.
- Tongue tie release is done before the child learns to speak i.e around 6-8 months.
- It’s a small daycare procedure, 15-20 mins total time in and out of OT, and almost nil blood loss.
- Tongue tie release does not ensure clear speech, child might require speech therapy after the procedure. Also, tongue tie doesn’t cause delayed speech.