Hernia vs Hydrocele
Case No. 14: Hernia vs Hydrocele
- Both have a common etiology i.e. patent processus vaginalis.
- Hernia is treated only by surgical correction, i.e. herniotomy.
- Child with hydrocele can wait up to 2 years before the surgery for spontaneous obliteration of the processus vaginalis.
- Hernia is a semi-emergency and should be operated at the earliest possible elective OT.
- Herniotomy is performed as a daycare surgery with a small 1-inch scar and blood loss is minimal.
- Laparoscopic hernia repair also gives good results. Preferred for bilateral conditions.