Case No. 9: Paraphimosis
- Inability to pull back the retracted prepuce.
- Presents with severe pain and swelling over the penis
- This happens due to accidental pulling back of prepuce followed by failure to reposition and customs like blowing air into the prepuce.
- Seitz bath, analgesics, and urgent reduction (with local/topical anesthesia) is the way of treatment.
- Circumcision would sometimes be required subsequently in the future if a constriction ring forms.
Point to Remember
Always remember to pull back the retracted prepuce of the child. It saves a lot of pain and suffering to the child.