Phimosis in Children
Case No. 8: Phimosis in Children
- Inability to retract prepuce.
- Physiological in the early period of life.
- Child presents with ballooning of prepuce/ pain/infection etc.
- Can be managed conservatively with local application of steroid ointment.
- If not getting adequate response –> circumcision.
- Repeated attempts to pull the skin may lead to multiple small cuts over the prepuce. In severe cases, retention of urine or balanitis may result.
Point to Remember
Timely, perseverent, sincere application of ointment as advised will surely avoid surgical intervention.