Posterior Urethral Valves
Case No. 11: Posterior Urethral Valves
- Mucosal fold in the posterior part of the urethra causing obstruction to the flow of urine.
- Antenatally detected by the Key Hole sign on sonography.
- Postnatally child presents with a poor stream of urine, dribbling, and retention of urine.
- Best diagnosed by Micturating cystourethrogram. Frequently associated with vesico-ureteric reflux.
- Cystoscopic PU Valve fulguration is the treatment of choice.
- Long-term chemoprophylaxis, routine follow-up with investigations, paediatric nephrologist opinion, etc should always be taken.